DAY 1
Now remember, neither of the two boys could swim, and Rhett would even get upset if you asked him to put his face in the water. So off we went. Drake and Rhett both cried most of the 1/2 hour of their first private lesson. But since they seemed to be under the water more than out, it appeared minimal. When their instructor, Lauren, felt they needed a little security and rest, she would hold them in a tight hug in the water and sing to them and talk calmly to them and then say, it's time to swim again, 1 2 3, and the kids would be under the water in a swimming motion again and again and again. I admit it wasn't as traumatizing as I thought it would be. I know and trust Lauren so I knew they would be fine... therapy... so I sat and watched through the window... therapy... as my children were compelled to learn how to swim. .. therapy. At the end of Drake's lesson, she let him blow some bubbles to calm him down, and that perked him right up. He ran over to me and cheered, "I love swimming lessons!" Appearenlty the lack of oxygen over the last 1/2 hour must have caused some sort of amnesia, for now. Rhett panicked a lot that first day as well, and really tried to get over his fear of putting his face in the water. I knew we had to get over this first before any swimming would take place.
Day 2
Drake and Rhett both were a little suspicious of swim lessons the second day but there was a lot less crying and a lot more learning. Lauren didn't let them give up, and made them do the work, but in a very loving and secure way. I was starting to think this was going to work.
DAY 3
Drake loves swimming! He told me after day 3 that he won't wear floaties anymore.
Who would have guessed just a couple of days earlier this child wouldn't get his head wet? Rhett also has decided I'm not allowed to put floaties on him ever again. He says, "Mom, I know how to swim now. Floaties are for babies." And they still have another week+ of lessons!
DAY 4
I wanted Brad to see what was happening so he came on Day 4 to see what they could do. He was so impressed, he got choked up with pride and amazement and wants everyone to come take lessons from Lauren so they can have the comfort of having their kids know how to swim too! He got so excited and emotional about it, he wants to do a story on her in the magazine so that everyone really will know about her ability. (I like to think of her as the Swimming Whisperer. Her schedule might fill up really quick next year.)
We are both so grateful to her for her work with our boys and my unofficial therapy. It is especially meaningful to me, because I know part of this is difficult for her since less than a year ago her little nephew who wasn't quite 2 yet, drowned in this pool at her home. She's a great example to me of someone who has strength after a tragedy and then helps other people succeed so perhaps the same tragedy won't enter their lives.
5 comments:
Tell Drake and Rhett that I am so proud of them!!! They are very good swimmers. But only when mommy or daddy are watching. And mommy! What can I say???? Good job. Of course, now that they think they can swim you have to watch them even closer. Because, well, they think they can swim. :)
I didn't see Drake's thumb guard......did you ever try that? I'm so curious!
Awe, very sweet...
Your boys are "tastic"! (giggle-giggle)
They've been easy to teach and a delight.
So jealous. If I send my kids to you for a couple weeks will she teach them??
I tried not to be envious of your swim instructor, but must admit I am:) That is so great for you and the boys! I was VERY impressed by what they learned so quickly. Give Lauren a hug for me too, as I am very impressed with her ability to help others swim after her personal tragedy. I appreciate you sharing that with us as it really helps me when I read or hear about such strong people. How can someone you have never met be such a great example? She is to me so relay that to her will you! Still love and miss you guys and appreciate you inviting us to keep track of your sweet family!
Post a Comment