So I've taken a month off of blogging only to return on an ornery note. I feel bad if my blogs are negative, I don't want them to be. I actually quite enjoy being a positive person, but every once in awhile something happens that you want to share with other people for the validation that the frustration you felt was legit. So here's what happened to me this week.
We've lived here almost a year now and have been very fortunate to have healthy children. London got sick in early February where we had a horrible experience at one of those walk in clinics, that led us to a Pediatrician I liked and was comfortable with. Over the last year London has gone in once due to sickness and twice for immunizations and wellness visits. The boys had all their medical files transferred to her office as well but haven't had to go in. Then, over 4 weeks ago I realized the trip to Utah was coming up and I didn't want a Holiday with sick children so I called to schedule a flu shot for them all. The office told me they were waiting for the shots to come in and we were on a waiting list and would be contacted. On Monday I decided too much time had passed and our trip was getting closer so I called them. It didn't sound like my name was on any list when they told me the shots came in a week ago and I just needed to give them my kids names. I did so and the receptionist told me they only did flu shots on Saturday mornings. I told her we were out of town this Saturday and then left on our trip next week. She said they had special Tuesday evening visits for just such schedules. She told me she would call me back with the Doctor's schedule. A couple hours later she called me and asked if the boys had the same last name as London. I said yes. She said they weren't in the computer and I told her it was because they haven't had to come in this year, thank heaven, but their medical records were there in the office. She said great, and that she still hadn't had time to talk to the Dr. and would call me back. A couple of hours after that I got the following call from my pediatrician's office:
"Hello, Ms. Palmer?"
"Yes."
"I'm calling to let you know the Dr. said you weren't established-enough patients to make an appointment to give the flu shots to your kids."
What? Did she just say what I thought she said? "What do you mean we're not established enough?"
"Your children are not established patients with us."
"Are you telling me because my boys haven't been sick this year and have had no reason to see the Dr., that now that they need to make a visit you won't make one?"
"Well, I guess so. It's nice to have such healthy kids."
"But I've brought London in for sickness and wellness, is she not "established enough" for you?"
"Well, I guess so. So I guess you could bring her in tomorrow for a shot."
"So you'll give London a flu shot but not the boys."
"No mam, they're just not established enough patients for an appointment."
Now, for a little more background on my emotions at this time. I am at a place in my life where home seems half way between Utah and Florida, my lease on the home I'm living in is about to expire, we can't find a house we really want to buy, which is fine because we can't sell our rental unit in Utah to pay for it. I guess you could say I'm feeling a little under-established. So when this PR nightmare of a receptionist tells me we're not established enough it really hit a nerve. Let's just say I had a little break down that was probably a long time coming. I can hold it in pretty well for any issues or stresses in my life, but when it affects my kids, I get a little upset. So now I look back on some of my blog rants and realize that I have been let down by the people I entrust my children to. Maybe my expectations are too high. Maybe it's overly naive of me to think that the school and pediatrician also have my kids best interests at heart. Is that really too much to ask? My own pediatrician won't help my kids when they need her. I'm all cried out over this one and innocence was definitely lost here.
On a more positive note. I am blessed with great friends here. The night after my little tear-fest, my dearest friend brought my family hot chocolate and good cheer to end the day. It's amazing what a little "hot-chocolating" can do in life. Everyone needs to have good friends like these, and be that kind of good friend in return.
Friday, December 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Melissa, I am still so sorry...Gainesville does take awhile to grow on you...things here are so backwards compared with where I came from and where you came from. I REALLY hope and pray that this will work for you! Anytime you want hot chocolate, just holla!!!
That's just ridiculous. Seriously. Stupid people are the worst. "Because they haven't been sick, we can't help prevent them from becoming sick." What kind of logic is that? I'm sorry you have to deal with all that. We miss you here in Utah!
What? Excuse me!!??!! Wendy's sister-in-law, Terri, is a nurse at the county office. SHE will give your kids the shots when you get here. I've never heard of such a thing. If London is her patient then all your kids should be her patients. Take them all with you and keep your fingers crossed that they'll give them the shots rather than be ridiculous.
I realize I'm a little late to this party, and I'm assuming this has been taken care of already. If not - did you try any of the local pharmacies? I've noticed at the ones around here that they'll give shots (both kinds) to anyone 4 and over.
On another note.
You should just move to Washington.
Also
Logan wants to visit Florida, so don't move anywhere (except here) before we get him down to you.
I think kids these days need to be taught good pr and customer service skills and communication skills. I don't care if you are in a drive-thru at Sonic or In-n-out or in a doctors office, this is just becoming a huge problem!!
Post a Comment