Saturday, January 31, 2009

The Banana Spider

Before we moved to Florida everyone would tease us about watching out for alligators. (Our friends just had to call animal control last month to get an alligator our of their neighborhood duck pond, so it's true!) But I have found it's not the alligator that I'm going to watch out daily for... it's the banana spider.
This lovely little spider is about as creepy as they come. It's long legs are smooth and curvy with muscle-looking joints, just skinny enough to be delicate and intriguing, yet thick enough to send a chill up your spine. His Torso is big and hairy and (and if you get close enough) you can see a face-like pattern on it's rear. CREEPY. There is a dead one of these on the back patio of the house we're trying to buy. A fascinating sight for three curious little boys. About 1 ft from the lifeless yet terrifying corpse is one of it's legs. It looks like an odd stick or the world's smallest and finest-crafted boomerang. Even in it's solitary state, the leg inspires fear. One of the houses we looked at actually had a very large and beautiful spider web over it's threshold guarded with the largest spider I had ever seen: my first introduction to the banana spider. It took everything I had in me to run underneath it into this house. I had the creeps the whole time I was in the house thinking about having to exit the home and the possibility of this spider jumping down on me. These same feelings of my skin crawling came back last night as Adam showed me and Brita clips on Youtube of a banana spider eating a grub, and another of someone trying to step on the spider while video taping it. The first time he tried to step on it you heard a huge crunch (which made Brita and I scream in unified terror) but then it ran away! He finally got it the second time but I don't think this is a method I would ever use to kill one of these amazing spiders. I share this story because I always wondered what all those college students were doing all summer long selling pest control "in the south" and coming back affording nice cars and not having to work the rest of the year. Now I know, and I'll probably help keep them in business!

1 comment:

Josh said...

I'm trying to get caught up on your posts. This one speaks to me, and here is why.

When I first started workign at Walt Disney World, I spent all of my free time in the Parks. One day I was on the Walt Disney World Railroad at the Magic Kingdom. As the train passed through the backwoods of Frontierland on it's way to the Mickey's Toontown Fair Station, I saw a magnificent display of Disney wildlife. They had put these bright, colorful, larger than life novelty store spiders in between the trees. Big webs held together by the trunks of the trees. I thought it was pretty cool.

On my next train ride around, I looked forward to such things as the audio-animatronics gators and spiders. Once we got to that backwood of trees, the spiders were not there...

Lightbulb went on over the head at that moment!

I have a somewhat similar story about gators on that same Railroad...