Sunday, March 1, 2009

Now Brad wants to punch a girl...

Warning: for this next posting to make sense, you need to first read last weeks post on Rockwell's second first day of school. Read that first, then come back.

On Friday Brad took Rockwell to school and I asked him to also go into the office and sign Rockwell up to be able to start taking the bus on Monday. He got all the paperwork filled out without incident, and was given a piece of paper he was supposed to immediately take to Rock's teacher so she would know his information. The paper said what bus number he would be on, the address of the bus stop, the approximate time the bus arrived, the bus drivers name, and her phone number. So naturally, Brad asked if he could get a photocopy of the information. The infamous office secretary said no. Brad, forgetting my previous experiences, thought maybe she was joking and smiled and played along by saying,"Why not?" Then all the memories of my previous experience came back to him as she said, "Because I don't know what you're going to do with it." Well I think it was pretty obvious what he was going to do with it: know where when and what his child would be doing on the school bus. He tried again, "No really, I'd like a copy of that information."
"Sorry, can't do that."
"What harm can there be in copying that information for me."
"You could try and get another kid on the bus that's not supposed to be there."
What?? Like there's enough time in life to plot the secret passage of an unknown student to our bus stop? So Brad asked since he couldn't have a photocopy of the paper, could she at least write the information down for him so he would have it. With a great display of inconvenience, she finally complied.
If this were a secretary or front desk personnel at a company, this type of behavior would probably make her lose her job. But just because she works for the school district, and we're not paying clients with much of a choice where to go, we're supposed to put up with it?

Do I write a letter?

3 comments:

FamilyKolbaba said...

You could, but I'm guessing she'll be protected by crazy security and privacy laws from the school district......You could definitely complain about her rudeness, and total lack of helpfulness, though. Then you could punch her :)

Unknown said...

It's funny because I was thinking that I was going to make copies of your blogs and send them to the principal. Surely, surely someone cares if she is courteous or not. You can abide by rules and keep children safe and not offend their parents every time they come in.
'Nuff said.

Adam B said...

Definitely go over her head and tell someone about your multiple (now 3, right?) run-ins with her. I'm sure you're not the only people she's treated poorly. I would make an appointment to talk to her immediate supervisor, then follow that up with an email to the supervisor and his/her supervisor copied in on it. She's a receptionist - her job is primarily interfacing with parents and students - not paperwork. She needs to learn to do her job properly or lose it.