London hasn't been feeling too well, but we don't have a pediatrician out here yet and I kept telling myself she'd be better tomorrow. Well it got worse and worse, and as much as I try to avoid taking my kids to the Doctors office, I knew it was time yesterday morning. I looked up what I thought was the equivalant to an InstaCare, called an Urgent care here, and took her in first thing in the morning. I sat in the waiting room for about 40 minutes after filling out all the paperwork they needed on her, and was finally brought back to an exam room. A random assistant came in and asked what I thought was wrong and I told her I believed she had an ear infection, high temperatures off and on, a possible sore throat, and an obvious green discharge continually evactuating from her nose coupled with a cough. The diagnosis seemed pretty easy and I was sure I'd be out of there in a jiffy with a perscription for antibiotics. After another 20 minutes had past, a Physicians Assistant came in and asked me again what I thought was wrong with her, I redid the medical monologue, this time with the added drama of a groaning and crying child accompanying my descriptions. The PA turned and looked at me and said, "I've spoken with the other doctors here and none of us feel comfortable looking at your daughter since she is so young."
Yes she's 8 months old, but could you just look inside her ears please?
"I'm not a pediatrician so I wouldn't want to take any chances, and either would any of the other doctors here today."
Could someone have told me this an hour and a half ago before I sat in this place with a sick and crying child?
"I can try and find a pediatrician who will see her today."
Well I could have called a pediatrician and "tried" to get an appointment today. But that's not very possible which is why there are walk-in Urgent care centers. You mean you really won't look inside her ears with that thing-a-ma-bob hanging on the wall right there next to us?
"No, you'll need a pediatrician to do that. Maybe if she was two I'd look."
Maybe it was the crying baby, coupled with the hour and a half wait in a less-than-sanitary looking urgent care after a sleepless night, and that she hadn't nursed in over a day and I was uncomfortable anyhow, I wanted to scream, "What kind of doctors are you! What's wrong with you people! Look in my poor sick baby's ears!!!!!
She asked me to wait and she'd call a pediatrician she works with and see if he'd squeeze me in today. I waited another 10 minutes and then just left the exam room. I could call a pediatrician myself. That was not the point here. Does URGENT CARE not mean what I had thought? As I walked out with my wimpering baby, I wiped my tears away and told the lady at the front desk I would not be paying for my visit, and I would have appreciated being told an hour and a half ago that they wouldn't see someone so young.
As I got in my car, another front desk worker came running after me, "Ms Palmer, Ms, Palmer, I'm still trying to find you a pediatrician!" She had a phone book in her hand and was calling down the list. Again, something I could have done but I wanted to see a doctor TODAY. They weren't having any luck with their "connections" finding anyone who would take her today so I'm sure I wouldn't be so lucky either.
I went to pick up my other kids from Brad's office and ran into his business partner, Scott, and it was obvious I was a little emotional. I told him the story and he immediately got on the phone to his kids pediatrician, who was not taking new patients, and got London an appointment for 4pm when the clinic was closing. It was a long day but at least I had an appointment. Now, in fairness to the story, I was at that Pediatricians office for almost 2 hours because she got caught up at the Hospital and wasn't able to make it back to the office until 5:30. (I had people coming over to my house for dinner at 6!) She finally arrived and examined London. I really liked her and am glad she said she'd be willing to take on all my kids as her patients. Diagnosis: Ear Infection and a little bronchitis. She gave me some Tylenol and Motrin and a perscription for an antibiotic, (free here at the local grocery store!) and we were on our way. I was 45 minutes late to the dinner at my house, but was glad to have the beginning of the end on its way. Depsite her misery, this wonderful child still manages to smile at everyone she comes in contact with and tries to be pleasant when I know she's in pain. She is an amazing little girl and I love her so much!
Friday, March 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
So far your blog has taught be that pretty much everyone in Florida is irritating and unhelpful. Perhaps you should move to Disney World.
We lived in Florida once. We now like to "visit" Florida. It's just a different place in this Country that what we Californian's (and Utahn's) are not quite used to. Different can be okay. But we have decided to keep it a vacation spot. That is, unless work suddenly told me my profession is out there. But even at that, Walt Disney World is it's own little planet.
Just read my above comment. Good english. Yay. I'm going to bed. :)
Post a Comment