Monday, May 11, 2009

My visit with a Paratrooper and a State Trooper

April 30, 2009

We decided to go to my brother's Airborne graduation in Georgia because it was relatively close, about 5 hours away. It was the day before Brad's sister's wedding so it was going to be a quick trip! London and Rockwell went with me and we had a great time. I loved seeing my long lost family, especially my "little" brother who I hadn't seen since he left on his second tour of Iraq a year and a half ago.

I use the term "little" loosely. It's not hard to find him in a group of people who all are dressed the same.

Rockwell had an especially good time since he got to see Logan.
I don't think he stopped talking the entire time we were there. Talon looked great and I couldn't help but feel this huge sense of pride that I always get when I see him. Now there's one more thing to add to his list of accomplishments: Paratrooper.

Here's one of the places he was "trained" on how to jump out of a Black Hawk helicopter. It looked like some sort of torture chamber to me, but he said it taught them how to jump, although it did feel like torture at times...


The second half of my story is when I got pulled over for speeding on a remote road in Georgia on my way there. I had no idea what the speed limit was and I knew I was guessing high. Ironically I got pulled over when I came around a corner and saw the speed limit sign a split second before I saw the trooper:. 55 mph She wasn't the friendliest of troopers and had a script and was sticking to it. I nervously did the small talk thing as she looked over my registration (that Brad had just updated that morning) and mentioned the irony of being pulled over for speeding 2 feet behind the speed limit sign. She did her thing and eventually came back with my ticket (which I totally deserved!) and said, "Here's your ticket for going over the limit in a 45 zone.)
"45?" I asked.
"Yes, 45. You don't reach the 55 zone for another 2 feet where the sign is, so you are still in the 45, so I'm ticketing you at 45."
I couldn't believe it. Tacking on that additional 10 mph was going to make this a very ugly situation. There was no changing the situation and you could tell she was happy with the terror that spread across my face. Power is an ugly thing in the hands of the wrong person. I can't help but think maybe she would enjoy jumping out of a helicopter...

2 comments:

Anderson Zoo Keepers said...

I still can't believe that we didn't get any photos of you or London with him. I'm kicking myself.

I'm so glad you guys came though. I know Talon can be a little gruff and act like he's all "whatever" about his family, but I know it meant a lot to him that you guys took the time to come up.

Jackie H said...

All of your warm pictures make me so jealous. I just turned on my heater again this morning. Can't wait to leave Logan...

I just got a ticket too (I maintain that I wasn't speeding). I learned to ask a judge for a plea in abeyance. That makes it so it comes off your record quickly and other good stuff. I also learned that you can ask any judge to lower your fee and that they often do.