After trying bad tasting nail polish, cayenne pepper, Tabasco sauce and anything you could put on a thumb to stop a child from putting it in his mouth, we finally went to the expensive semi-medical device. The Thum-Guard was our last hope and we have tried it 3 times unsuccesfully because this unremovable device was removed by our two-year-old every time we put it on him. Well, Monday morning he came to me and the poor thumb looked like it was about to fall off. He had sucked the finger nail almost right off. He asked me for a bandaid and my mind went straight to the Guard. I told him it was a bandaid and he wore it succesfully for two days since I medical-taped it to his hand. It was not coming off. But after two days his whole thumb looked like it was going to fall of from being in this humity and in a plastic prison for 2 days. So last night I taped a sock to his hand and he acted like it was totally normal. He slept just fine not having his thumb in his mouth and hasn't tried to take the sock off. He has told me his finger feels better and he doesn't need the bandaid anymore, but I just tell him its not better yet and he says okay, and keeps it on. The answer was in my drawer all along-- socks! I will continue to employ the Thum-Guard when he goes to school, church or out in public because it is much less noticeable than a giant sock taped to his wrist with green dinosaur tape. Now I just need to do my part and keep it up and maybe the habit will disappear and his poor teeth will start to have a fighting chance!
Wednesday, November 4, 2009
S.O.C.K.S
My high school Spanish teacher taught us one day that if you would just spell out the word "socks" in English, you would be saying, "that's exactly it!" in Spanish. Although I've never really heard it used by a native, it does make grammatical sense. I'm sharing this with you because we've had a minor problem we've been trying to solve and you could say the solution is "socks" because literally the socks are "exactly it!"

After trying bad tasting nail polish, cayenne pepper, Tabasco sauce and anything you could put on a thumb to stop a child from putting it in his mouth, we finally went to the expensive semi-medical device. The Thum-Guard was our last hope and we have tried it 3 times unsuccesfully because this unremovable device was removed by our two-year-old every time we put it on him. Well, Monday morning he came to me and the poor thumb looked like it was about to fall off. He had sucked the finger nail almost right off. He asked me for a bandaid and my mind went straight to the Guard. I told him it was a bandaid and he wore it succesfully for two days since I medical-taped it to his hand. It was not coming off. But after two days his whole thumb looked like it was going to fall of from being in this humity and in a plastic prison for 2 days. So last night I taped a sock to his hand and he acted like it was totally normal. He slept just fine not having his thumb in his mouth and hasn't tried to take the sock off. He has told me his finger feels better and he doesn't need the bandaid anymore, but I just tell him its not better yet and he says okay, and keeps it on. The answer was in my drawer all along-- socks! I will continue to employ the Thum-Guard when he goes to school, church or out in public because it is much less noticeable than a giant sock taped to his wrist with green dinosaur tape. Now I just need to do my part and keep it up and maybe the habit will disappear and his poor teeth will start to have a fighting chance!
After trying bad tasting nail polish, cayenne pepper, Tabasco sauce and anything you could put on a thumb to stop a child from putting it in his mouth, we finally went to the expensive semi-medical device. The Thum-Guard was our last hope and we have tried it 3 times unsuccesfully because this unremovable device was removed by our two-year-old every time we put it on him. Well, Monday morning he came to me and the poor thumb looked like it was about to fall off. He had sucked the finger nail almost right off. He asked me for a bandaid and my mind went straight to the Guard. I told him it was a bandaid and he wore it succesfully for two days since I medical-taped it to his hand. It was not coming off. But after two days his whole thumb looked like it was going to fall of from being in this humity and in a plastic prison for 2 days. So last night I taped a sock to his hand and he acted like it was totally normal. He slept just fine not having his thumb in his mouth and hasn't tried to take the sock off. He has told me his finger feels better and he doesn't need the bandaid anymore, but I just tell him its not better yet and he says okay, and keeps it on. The answer was in my drawer all along-- socks! I will continue to employ the Thum-Guard when he goes to school, church or out in public because it is much less noticeable than a giant sock taped to his wrist with green dinosaur tape. Now I just need to do my part and keep it up and maybe the habit will disappear and his poor teeth will start to have a fighting chance!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment