Well I've been reminded again how the binky isn't so much a crutch for the child as it is for the parent. I knew I was going to take London's binky away at 18 months but then events just kept happening that I didn't want to have to deal with the repercussions of her being binkyless. First we were packing, then we were moving, then someone was going to babysit her the following week, then we were going to Orlando, and on and on. I just kept putting it off. Then I was about to put it off again when I realized there is never a convenient time to have a psychotic and er rational child. So I just decided to do it despite the fact I was going out of town that weekend and leaving her with Brad. So when she woke up on Monday and I took her out of bed I removed the binky and said, "All gone." She was a little disturbed but I put her down and went into the kitchen, and without her seeing I cut the binky off. She came and asked me for it and I handed her the cut binky and said again, "All gone." She asked, "All gone? Where is?" I stuck with my story, "All gone." She said, "NO!" and threw the binky across the room which she immediately regreted and ran and got it again. She tried to put it in her mouth which was impossible. So she did something next I never expected. She handed me the binky and said, "All gone." and never asked for it again. That was it. The binky was all gone. No other confrontation or conversation. Wow, maybe I should have a little more faith in my kids and stop using their age as an excuse for doing or not doing things. It's so nice to now see pictures of her without that silly binky in her mouth! It makes it so you can see how chubby she is!
When I was looking at this picture I thought, "Who does she look like?" Anyone have an answer for me?
2 comments:
Darned if I know!!!! But it was hilarious that before I read what you wrote, I looked at that picture and thought,"Wow! Who does she look like in this picture?"
I love this story....did she still sleep okay at night? That's my worry. Also, with the big lip, fat cheeks, and big blue eyes, she looks quite a bit like my kid. Nate and I agree.
Post a Comment