Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Rock and Rhett Ride

It is well known in several small circles that we are loser parents who have not taught our children how to ride bikes. This became extremely obvious this last week when Rockwell turned 7, and had no idea how to ride a bike. So we got Rockwell a bicycle for his birthday and the belated lessons to go along with it. He wasn't sure he wanted to learn how to ride at first. "I'll just ride the scooter. I don't need to ride a bike." Fortunately that mentality went right out the window the first time he got on the bike and I was able to let go. He was hooked. Now we just have to work on focus...



All Rockwell wanted for his birthday was to play basketball with all the kids from the neighborhood and have pizza and cake. The sparkler candle was a huge success. (Yes we had his birthday in the garage.) We are really going to miss this little cul de sac. It has been perfect for us and the kids. It's exactly where you want to raise your children. Lots of good kids, similar ages to yours all tucked away in the worlds longest cul de sac. I love watching the front of our house fill with all the neighborhood kids, and then my boys put down my least favorite thing in our house, the Wii, and go outside. It's a boys paradise. We also have a huge yard and cute screened swimming pool. I would be willing to sacrifice the size and space I originally thought was so important to be able to stay in this home. Oh, well, we'll have to find paradise somewhere else!

Rhett learned how to ride a bike on his second day. But he couldn't start or stop on his own. The only way he could stop would be to throw one of his legs over the bike to the other side and bail as fast as he could. It was funny and dangerous all at the same time. I took a video of him riding in pride, but refusing to stop:



The only way he could get himself to stop was by "natural" means:


Finally, a good stop.



We also tried to teach Drake at his constant pleading, but he just can't focus. He's so excited to see his feet turning the pedals and the wheels rotating he can't watch where he's going. We'll stick to training wheels for awhile.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

You ROCK as parents! Really, your family is wonderful and now I am motivated to continue our LOOONG bike riding lesson with Gordy. I'll show him these videos...or better yet, let's get the boys together next week during spring break for bike riding.

Unknown said...

I won't mention that we taught you all to ride bikes when you were four years old......But we obviously were not as successful on the first day as you were. At four it took days if not weeks before you were on your own.
I love the part about Drake. He is a constant source of joy and love for me. Tell him grandma said to keep trying and keep smiling.